Throughout my life, I have been a solid advocate of planning ahead and setting goals. I used to think everyone was like me until I was put in my first managerial role many years ago. For example, during my university days, I would strategize on paper how I would get through multiple exams noting approximate timelines for the study of each, as well as outline which sections to cover over a set period of time. This served me well as I was successful in passing all my exams.
I have since realized that not everyone likes to plan ahead or may not be aware of how to set goals for themselves. Others may have set goals, however for some reason they have given up on them.
I recently came across a video blog post by business woman, Carrie Green of the Female Entrepreneur Association who shares about 6 powerful questions she has asked herself to help her achieve her goals. In the video found on her website Carrie says, “These 6 questions enabled me to uncover:
- What was stopping me from achieving my goals.
- What was helping me to achieve them – I discovered my winning formula for succeeding.
The 6 questions to ask yourself are:
- What goals did I set last year that I reached?
- What did I do in order to achieve my goals?
- What goals did I set myself last year that I did not reach?
- Why didn’t I achieve my goals?
- What do I want to achieve this year?
- What must I do to make these goals happen?
As Carrie says, “Once you know what’s stopping you, you can do something about it to change and once you know what your formula for successfully reaching your goals is then you can start to achieve amazing things.”
How has setting business or personal life goals helped you succeed?